Saturday, July 9, 2016

His weapon? His words

Prince's 'weapon' was his music, his words
Do not be deceived by the photo — Prince's 'weapon' was his music, his words. 

He was extremely in-tune to things going on in the world, and did not shy away from writing about it.

One that I keep going back to is "Dear Mr. Man" off of 2004 Musicology album. He seemed to tuck his messages and observations into cool funky grooves. Think of the opening words to 1987's Sign o' the Times? No one was speaking about AIDS then. And that's the lead, and title, song. 

Some of you may know that to process his loss, I compiled ALL of his lyrics here: ThirdThursdayInApril.com. I didn't want news stories. I needed his words. Start to finish. To see his story over the years. Prince & His Evolution if you will. It was profoundly cathartic.

In light of the latest horrific news, I went back to see his words. On guns. Here is some of what he wrote over a span of nearly four decades. Take a read through. And share. #Prince #StayAwake #StayWoke


I compiled ALL of his lyrics here: ThirdThursdayInApril.com
Below is ALBUM# : SONG#

4:7 (1981)
Annie Christian... always looking for some fun
Being good was such a bore,
so she bought a gun
She killed John Lennon, shot
him down cold
She tried to kill Reagan, everybody say gun control
Gun control



9:1 (1987)
At home there are seventeen-year-old boys and their idea of fun
Is being in a gang called ‘The Disciples’ High on crack and totin’ a machine gun
Time.
You turn on the telly and every other story is tellin’ you somebody died
Times.
It’s silly, no?
When a rocket ship explodes and everybody still wants to fly
But some say a man ain’t happy unless a man truly dies
Oh, why?
Times.



10:1 (1988)
Say, yes
Yes! If you want this feeling called love
Yes! If you want it now raise your hand to the man above
Yes! Up on the 2, swing right on the 4
We want everybody to open this door!
Say no,  if you don’t wanna live life under the gun (I know)
We know a better way to have some fun (I know)
I know there is a heaven and a hell



10:5 (1988)
A bass guitar in spider webs, longing for the funk
Uzi gun takes his place in a wagon trunk
(get off me, punk, you ain’t sexy)
Stealin’ ladies purses then settin’ them a’flame
M&M killers playin’ Mickey Mouse games
Lord have mercy
Dance on,



14:1 (1992)
I know from righteous I know from sin
I got two sides and they both friends
Don’t try to clock ‘em, they’re much too fast
If you try to stop ‘em they kick that ass
Without a pistol, without a gun
When you hear my music you’ll be havin’ fun



15:5 (1994)
As the door closes, baby starts to cry
“Please don’t lock me up again, without a reason why”
Papa just went outside and pointed a shotgun up in the sky
He said “How come I don’t love my woman?”
Then he took aim and died
Boom!
Papa
Boom! Boom!
Papa, Papa



15:6 (1994)
Of all the things that base a rhyme
How is it that you every time
Regurgitate the racist lines that keep us apart?
Thank God this ain’t Monopoly
You’d make us all go back to start

Race
In the space I mark human
Face the music
Race
Face the music
We all bones when we dead

Cut me, cut you
Both the blood is red

D-d-down with h-i-s-t-o-r-y and all this B.S. propagandi
Keepin’ you from me, and me from you, as we grow
I don’t want to know (I don’t want to know)
Why those before us hated each other

I’d rather believe they never did
I’d rather believe (I’d rather, I’d rather believe)
That there’s hope for a kid



20(1): 5 (1998)
If you’re sick of evil knocking on your door
Throw up the love sign once and forevermore
If you’d rather make love and have a little fun
Throw up the love sign everybody — and not the gun



28:6 (2004) Speaks of 9/11
Cinnamon girl of mixed heritage
Never knew the meaning of color lines
911 turned that all around
When she got accused of this crime

So began the mass illusion,
“war on terror” alibi
What’s the use when the
God of confusion keeps on telling the same lie?

As war drums beat in Babylon
And scorch the blood-red sky
Militants bomb the foreign gun
Both sides, children die

Cinnamon girl opens the book,
she knows will settle all the scores
Then she prays after the war
that there will not be anymore



33(2): 6 (2009)
Worked so hard all thru the week
I just wanna get off your feet
Hit me back at a quarter to nine
We can jam and have a real good time tonite
You wanna jam wit me? A’ight lover, 
No guns or drugs up in the place
Old school jams put a smile on your face tonite

No top forty, none of that junk
I know this dope spot that just plays funk



36:6 (2014)
Tell me how some people walk in the sun
While others just walk in the dark
Lookin’ at the world through a barrel of a gun
Hands behind their back and a parked car

America you might fair better
London your sure to be toast
You always get the dream that you deserve
From what you value the most

You need to fix your life up
Fix your life up
Fix it up



37:2 (2014)
I’m gonna give you something baby
But I wonder does it really even matter if it ain’t on a stage
If it ain’t on a stage
I don’t really think it matters in this brand new age

When life’s a stage, in this brand new age
How do we engage? Bullying just for fun
No wonder there’s so many guns
Maybe we’re better off in space



38:1 (2015)
Baltimore
Nobody got in nobody’s way
So, I guess you could say it was a good day
At least a little better than the day in Baltimore

Does anybody hear us pray
For Michael Brown or Freddie Gray?
Peace is more than the absence of war
Absence of war

Are we gonna see another bloody day?
We’re tired of the cryin’ and people dyin’
Let’s take all the guns away

Absence of war, you and me
Maybe we can finally say
Enough is enough,
it’s time for love

If there ain’t no justice
then there ain’t no peace
If there ain’t no justice
then there ain’t no peace
If there ain’t no justice
then there ain’t no peace...


Miss you Prince,

Wendy




P 7:1
“Open your heart, open your mind, A train is leaving all day
A wonderful trip through our time, And laughter is all you pay”
(Around the World in a Day)

TIP ONCE IN THE PDF: ( Search = command + F ) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...