Monday, May 16, 2016

1. Prince Listening-Retrospect: "Completed"


Copper likes Prince, too
Copper likes Prince, too
Part 1 of 4 — Posting Mon, Tues, Wed, with a special share on Thursday

Three weeks. All thirty-nine albums. Every word. 

Just after the paradigm-shifting news of that THIRD THURSDAY IN APRIL, some of you know I began a listening retrospect of Prince’s words. All of them. Over 150,000 words, to be exact. Without any thought, 
I instinctively began the journey very early Saturday morning, the 23rd. Not even a full two days after... that Thursday. 

I needed his words

No reports. No tributes. No special magazines. 

Just his words. His music.


After this it’s all downloads
This process has been a very cathartic, three-week labor of love for me. Very eye-opening. Very healing. Which is exactly, what I'd hoped for. Like a indulgent Woodstock of just Prince. And in fact that’s mentioned in his (P 38:11)*

After completing this immense project, I realized I can’t keep it. This week, there will be a time to share (P 14:15)* and soon... baby you'll understand (P 9:6)* 

What a prophetic Prince. I cannot even express the impact he’s had on me as a deep fan for nearly four decades. But, as deep (or deep end if you ask some) as he ever got, I really adore the simple summation of it all, below, using his very own book-ending words:
1.  Words from his first, very short, song (a sweet, aspirational tone) 
“All of this and more is for you, with love, sincerity and deepest care, my life with you I share”
2.  Last two words from his last song (a smile, funky, upbeat tone) 
“That’s it.”
Wow... still just taking it all in. Still does not... 



* to peel away preconceived notions of ‘already knowing a song,’ I've been referring to his lyrics as (ALBUM# : SONG#). Check back on the third Thursday in... May. 




GATHERED INTO ONE PLACE ON THE THIRD THURSDAY IN MAY 2016:


P 7:1
“Open your heart, open your mind, A train is leaving all day
A wonderful trip through our time, And laughter is all you pay”

(Around the World in a Day)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...