Tuesday, July 14, 2015

What is a breadcrumb?

B R E A D C R U M B S

I created this story in 1992, when I lived in Chicago, after 'coincidences' kept piling up in my life. Ones that made me do a double-take. You know, when you think of someone you haven't seen in ages and turn the corner and there they are. Weird. Well, as these piled up, I began to feel that they meant something. Like they were almost directional in life. Then coupled with the feeling that, growing up, I didn't have any really neat, unique, rich, 'stories' and traditions to pass along I realized... well, SOMEONE has to START those stories, those traditions. Why not me?

Inspired by Hansel and Gretel's story of leaving breadcrumbs in the woods so they could find their way home, I began to call these coincidences, "BREADCRUMBS." Or if it's a really big coincidence, we've called them loafs, croutons, even 'factories' if it's a really, really, crazy-big coincidence.

The idea is that your life should have these 'breadcrumbs' scattered throughout your life, it sort of reminds you you're on the right path. If you haven't had a breadcrumb in a while... you might just want to step back and take a look at things. Now I do not propose to have lofty powers or crystal-ball insights, nor would I ever want that. This is merely a story. An idea. But life can be big and crazy, and to gain a sense that there is some rhyme, reason, and order to the often messiness of life through a simple story, why the heck not?

So, how do you 'use' this word? It's a noun. You'd say, as friends of mine now report in to me, "Wendy, I had the biggest breadcrumb today!!" or "That's a breadcrumb."

And it's 11:11... on le 14 juillet.
That's a breadcrumb.

Bonjour y'all!

©1992-2015 Wendy Hudgins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...