Tuesday, March 27, 2012

72 on 27

[ breadcrumb ]
Today my grandparents Roxie and Lewis, 92 and 93 yrs old, celebrated their 72nd anniversary. I can't even imagine the changes they've seen not only in the world but also in eachother and in themselves. 


I called up grandma to wish them a happy anniversary and I said "Did you know today y'all are celebrating anniversary number '72' on March '27'?" A breadcrumb. Grandma smiled and chuckled in surprise and said, "I guess you're right. It'd take a mind like yours, Wendy, to be able to figure that one out." 


I'm blessed that they are still in my life. And grateful for the influence they've had on me, through simple gestures, genuine love, and their modest life. They are 'grandma and grandaddy.' I'm 'baby doll.' And at 41, to have your grandaddy still call you that keeps life in perspective. 


And watching them has shifted my own view of the love I want in my own life: 
"For me, [love] is getting to be with the one who is still making me laugh when there are tennis balls on the bottom of our walkers."
Because of a love that I've had and the love that I've seen through my grandparents... I simply can't wait to fall again. And God-willing, maybe I can stay there next time.
©2012 Wendy Hudgins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...