Friday, October 29, 2010

11/11

T W E N T Y - S I X - L E T T E R S
My Flower Garden continues to grow. And since I'll be collecting these flower sketches all my life, I came up with an idea to update the quantity on annual basis. And I've chosen to do that on a date with numbers that fascinate me: 11/11.

So a week from this Thursday, I'll announce how many flowers I've received to date.
Of course you know, next year is 11/11/11. 'Seems like something special should happen on that day. At 11:11 of course...

The collection began the year I lived in the south of France. Two flowers from a painting exchange with my friends, Katelyn and Susan.

Then in Florida it began to grow a little, to around 10 or so.

And with yet another move, up here to the DC area, a place I was unfamiliar with at the time, I realized I needed the 'spirit' of folks who had had an impact on my life. Friends. Family. Neighbors. Mentors. Just a simple sketch. Or whatever folks have felt inclined to share. As long as it was the final piece was done by hand. Even collage. But no photos and no digital art. The nuance in a hand-done sketch (like the 11/11 one I did for this entry) captures the quirky uniqueness that is so special to each of us. Even in 10 ball point pen sketches I have from folks, they all look different. I love that. And that's the essence of the garden. None are exactly the same. I've framed and matted the flower sketches. And it's really amazing to see all of these together.

So if I've been pushy with this request (even sending out Flower kits to some folks), please know this is worth it. And SO special to me. You know I don't make a fuss on stuff unless it's important. So to each of you who has taken the time to sketch a little flower for me... for The Garden...
je dis milles mercis! Et revenir ici le 11 Novembre pour une mise à jour!

And if you haven't sent yours in, then quit reading this and go sketch your flower.

Then check back here on 11/11.
©2010 Wendy Hudgins

1 comment:

  1. Any chance of seeing a picture of your garden?
    You are so very clever. And a wonderful, lovely lady. Love you Mrs. Arnold

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...