Monday, June 28, 2010

Jingle Bells, Googly Eyes, and Little Boxes

C R E A T I V E - S P A R K
THE EYES OF A CHILD [no. 1]
Yes, I have a box with that label. Can I tell you how much fun it is to be a creative? A big bunch. There's an essay you might be familiar with called, “all I really need to know I learned in kindergarten.” I also have a quote in my office from Matisse, “all your life you must see with the eyes of a child.” YES!

Kids want to be adults.
And adults often long for the spirit of a child.

Wanting to be a grown-up, a
4-yr old stumbles around the house in dad's big fat shoes. Or a 7-yr old gets into mom's make-up and smears red lipstick. On the wall. Ginger ale in a champagne glass. Then, I think of how adults long for a nap or more play time, and would probably be better off eating more vegetables, playing fair, learning to clean up their own mess. Or catching a lightning bug on the way home from work on a hot summer night.

There's a fresh inspiration, resiliency, and wonder that kids possess... along with a hearty belief in immortality that if they jump off the back of the sofa, nothing will happen. When we adults go to make a move in our lives... we're more analytical.

We need to keep it simple. Fun.


“All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten”

by Robert Fulghum
Most of what I really need
 to know about how to live, and what to do, and how to be... 
I learned in kindergarten.
 Wisdom was not at the top
 of the graduate school mountain,
 but there in the sandpile at Sunday school.

 These are the things I learned:

 Share everything.
 Play fair.
 Don't hit people.
 Put things back where you found them.
 Clean up your own mess.
 Don't take things that aren't yours.
 Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
 Wash your hands before you eat.
 Flush.
 Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
 Live a balanced life -
 Learn some and think some. 
And draw and paint and sing and dance. 
And play and work everyday some.
 Take a nap every afternoon.
 When you go out into the world,
 watch out for traffic,
 hold hands and stick together.
 Be aware of wonder.

In a small way, how can you fun-up your life? Kid-style? Maybe a Tootsie pop if your presentation goes well tomorrow? Draw on your walls at home? Eat ice cream for dinner? With sprinkles. Maybe take a retro lunch box to work? Or maybe, in your filing of 'papers,' 'tissues,' and 'ribbons,' you make a box labeled “Jingle Bells, Googly Eyes, and Little Boxes.”

Why? Because I said so.

©2010 Wendy Hudgins
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. Love this post!! Thank you for letting a wonderful memory bubble up into my gray matter. When I was little, my dad let me jump off a very high table in our apartment. I didn't think twice about climbing on top of it and jumping off into my dad's arms. This drove my mom crazy! I must admit, as an adult, I've become more cautious when I make decisions. On those rare moments when I do JUST jump like I did when I was little, some people in my life questions those jumps. Ironically, my mom is ALWAYS a cheerleader when I make those daring jumps. I need to tap into my inner playground and fun-up my life a little more. Thank you Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Yes, tap into that inner playground, Robin. I LOVE that! Plus, you get the constant inspiration of these little cuties right in your classrooms! Soak it up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...