Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Joys and concerns

T W E N T Y - S I X - L E T T E R S
My church is amazing. Personally. Professionally. And spiritually. It's a Methodist church in Silver Spring. And besides the sermons, or even a hymn that can move me, sometimes to tears, we nearly have to be cut-off after the passing of the peace. In other churches this 'greeting time' can sometimes feel awkward or forced, even. Not ours! Even if you don't know everyone in the place, you feel welcome. Like family. You share. You listen. You applaud. You console. You care.

Each week there's a time for folks to voice their 'joys and concerns.' I've heard everything from the inevitability of death that will fall on all of us. To a sick goldfish.
To a graduation. I even recall one week, when a woman lifted up a concern. She was going in for cancer surgery, but her prayer was for the woman who would be substitute teaching in her class. I loved that.

And a year and a half ago I experienced a little scare
in my own family. But after hearing folks lift up this thing here, and that person there, it occurred to me that today, in this moment right now...

I have a joy.

It is... that I have no concerns.

2010 Wendy Hudgins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...