Monday, January 18, 2010

Audacity and potential

[ -O N E -Y E A R- A G O , - T H I S- W E E K -]
T W E N T Y - S I X - L E T T E R S

"Then and now" | JANUARY 19, 2009

That was my blog post on Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday last year. Do you recall what your mindset was last January? That lift of hope we felt? What a year.

But somewhere over the course of 365 days, it feels like an embarrassing division has permeated our country. This "United States" of America. What happened to the bumper stickers of 'united we stand divided we fall.' Or 'hope.' Can we really not work together? Compromise? Help eachother? Have we already thrown in the towel?

I don't think all is a lost cause. Then again, I am also an eternal optimist. I love these words from Thoreau, "we find only the world we look for." So then, can't we look for solutions. Look for the good and the potential in a situation. In eachother.

Over the next few days, I will be taking stock of that feeling, that lift, that audacity to hope that we all felt a year ago. I'm even going to tour the White House at the end of this month. And no matter how short-lived last year's 'hope' may seem to us now. We needed that moment so badly, so desperately as a nation. I'd like it back.

After last Tuesday's earthquake, rescuers came in from Iceland, China, Israel, Canada, Brazil and the U.S., and are currently helping in Haiti all working together. The audacity.

After the terrorists' ruthless destruction on our home turf just over eight years ago on 9/11 we were so gentle with eachother. The potential.

We have shown, full-on display, that we have the capacity to be kind. To help our neighbors. Quickly. Generously. Indiscriminately. And internationally. We have shown we have the capacity to make this world a little better. We can be kind in our words and our deeds.

So
if this potential is shown to be in all of us, I wonder, why then must we wait for such disaster to strike before showcasing our compassion?

Powerful words and powerful change do come out of, and arise from powerful tensions. I wish we could heed words that came from another charged and chaotic situation. Can't we all just get along?

For the first few days of this week, I'll be reposting the blogs from one year ago this week.

I am reposting these entries to not only honor and lift up a man seeking that same thing, unity, fairness, justice, kindness, Martin Luther King Jr. but also to be reminded of that historic moment, that feeling back in January 2009 as our country took a step forward. Our heads were held high, even if only for a short-lived moment. We needed that then. We need it even more now. I'm not aiming to push a political party on anyone. That's your choice to make. But I am pushing for us to work together. And I believe we can.

I continue to see the potential in the audacity of hope.
©2010 Wendy Hudgins

2 comments:

  1. Hope is a powerful 4-letter word! We need to keep it alive! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...