Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Nowhere to change

T W E N T Y - S I X - L E T T E R S
Cell phones, blackberries, iPhones. Actually, does anyone even use the phones in hotels anymore? Certainly 'telephone booths' are a thing of the past or at least nostalgia-in-bright-red on the streets of London.

With this connection and reachability, we're supposed to always be 'on.'

I've been working as a freelance Art Director in the DC area since early 2008. This has been an amazing journey of courage, faith, and growth for me. And with many of my current clients having come to me word-of-mouth, I'm beyond grateful to those of you who continue to send folks my way. Thank you! Keep it up.

But, when you work this way, you are not only the worker, but you are the soliciter of work. That requires a strong positive demeanor, which normally comes easy to me. But even when something comes easy we still need to take care to replenish, nourish, and rest, so we can continue on with that which we do best.

Vacation. Vacate our normal roles. Take the super hero outfit to the dry cleaners. And simply not be 'on.'

So, as there are no more telephone booths...

Does that mean we can no longer duck away, put on our glasses, and just be Clark Kent for a day? Replenish? Must we wear the red cape 24/7? Can't we just be 'human' for a short bit? With all of those messy and complicated 'human' qualities we each have?
©2009 Wendy Hudgins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...