Thursday, August 13, 2009

Three wishes

T W E N T Y - S I X - L E T T E R S
Outside on my screened-in side patio this morning, I was taking advantage of the 68° temps, morning sun, and sweet morning breeze with my coffee, and an awesome book on 'soul' matters, when I thought about 'threes.'

I'm not quite sure where the three was discovered as such a good quantity, but it really does seem to be a pretty good number.

There's, quite literally, a balance with three. Think of a three-legged stool. Even if one leg is shorter, it never wobbles. Fairy god mothers granted three wishes. Three IS company. There are three sisters in my my family. Religiously, there are also three in the trinity. Even traffic lights have three alerts. Two is too few, four would be chaos.

Think about the big things in our lives. Jobs. Relationships. Homes. What important qualities do you look for? Too many to count? I say, 'choose three.'

I'll focus on 'home' to make my point.

I heard somewhere that when looking for a new house, you should make a list of all the things that you want in a new home. Then, narrow that list to three. Voila! The home should have those three qualities. If this space is to be your sanctuary, your den to replenish yourself from the effects of life, these three things are critical – even if they're silly to others. Everything else, you should try to adapt to, or be flexible with. Here are mine, in order:
  1. Close proximity to spontaneous wandering preferably in a visually stimulating environment. Chicago, it was walks along the lake or around the blocks of gorgeous homes in the Gold Coast. France, it was old meandering cobblestone streets. Here, it's the path along Sligo Creek. Nature, trees, a creek. Escape-ist. Mind-purging. Relaxing. Creatively stimulating. Love it. Need it.
  2. Charm or 'soul' I can't do cookie cut. Need unique details. Need inspiration.
  3. Covered outdoor space to be in the elements of nature, but protected. People have commented that this could always be 'built on,' and they are correct. But then it wouldn't be in keeping with number two.
There won't be perfection in a job, a relationship, or a house. And perfection is not the goal. But once you do uncover the three qualities important to you, especially when you've reached down deep to find your answers, stick to them. Stick to your three things. Ensure that they are present. That's your soul speaking. Trust it. Then be flexible and try to let the rest go.

Click your heels three times and say, 'there's no place like home.'
And who's ever heard of dos, or cuatro, amigos?
Things happen... in...

I'm tellin' ya... it's in th' three's.
©2009 Wendy Hudgins

2 comments:

  1. Great posting, Wendy!!! Please think about developing your postings into a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, never thought about - but your right. Three is a perfect number. My perfect three - 3 boys! Not sure what else I have in 3's. You have an amazing mind to think of these things. I love Wizard of Oz, seen it endless amount of times, but I doubt seriously I would have remembered she clicked her heels 3 times! I'll remember that one now. Thanks for keeping mind thinking!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...