Thursday, July 30, 2009

Colorblind

T W E N T Y - S I X - L E T T E R S
'Teachable moments.' The buzzword from last week's Presidential press conference on health. Perhaps the 'health' of race relations?

With the Gates-Crowley incident, a societal discussion has bubbled up.

Good.

Think of even the tiniest little gas leak in your house. If you were to light a match. BOOM. It would ignite. However, if there were no gas
(or the race discussion became a non-issue) then there would be no explosion. Life would march on.

But a discussion has been 'lit.' Clearly, there are still issues. Opinions. This incident struck a chord across races. So we should still discuss. Until it gets neutralized. Until we are better able to be colorblind.

Not colorblind to where we mask out and homogenize our uniquenesses, cultures, and rich histories. But colorblind to where if someone else were in the shoes of Professor Gates, that the treatment would have been the same. Take me, a 5'2" white female. If I were locked out of my house, and I were jimmying my window or door,
and an officer came to the house, and I showed him my ID, would
I
have been taken down in handcuffs to the precinct?

So a societal discussion has bubbled up? Good.

Until we're colorblind... keep talking.
©2009 Wendy Hudgins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...