Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Order of importance

T W E N T Y - S I X - L E T T E R S
Aviate. Navigate. Communicate.

Wow. The Paris-bound flight that has seemingly now ended in tragedy, that exact event, is the very the reason I almost never went to Europe. Ask my best friend, he'll attest to that truth. By the mid 90's I had traveled around the states but had never had a compelling drive to visit Europe (apologies to any of you who just fell out of your chair, but it's true). And on top of that lack of desire was a fear... I'd never flown over that much water. What if the plane crashes? No one could visit the area, much less reach us in time to save anyone. Whereas over land, there are people and resources scattered all over this country. But now logging well over a dozen trips to France, here I am. Sitting safe and sound at my computer typing these little thoughts of mine into this little blog of mine.

Whenever that kind of a tragedy happens, my heart just aches for the families. The unknowns, the loss, that anticipation of seeing a long-lost relative or spouse, or parent, or child being replaced with the realization that you will never see that person again. It's so final. Yet so incomplete. We cannot even imagine that kind of pain and I'd wish that no one ever had to feel it at all.

But to those of us remaining, events like this are ALWAYS a stark reminder to live.

Back in the day-to-day struggles of each of our lives I think those three words from a veteran pilot on television Tuesday morning were brilliant. He was asked about why the crew didn't send out a May Day call as they went through 'turbulence.' He replied, saying it's possible with that intensity of turbulence, they had to funnel all focus and available resources onto trying to control the out of control plane. He went on to say, "there is a priority when you are in charge of a plane: Aviate. Navigate. Communicate." Essentially:
  1. STAY SAFE
  2. STAY ON COURSE... then
  3. STAY IN TOUCH
Priorities that simple transfer quite easily to other aspects of life.

I've drifted temporarily from someone very important to me in my life, as I'm using all my available resources to sustain the first two things right now. Like the plane out of reach of radio or radar, sometimes we simply have to do this navigating on our own. I pray they understand.

In life, all of our destinies are ultimately the same. But when we stay safe and healthy; remain focused on what we need to do and where we need to go; and finally, after those two things are secured, get in contact, we should be able to enjoy a long, safe 'flight.' It's a one way trip. And the end is so final. Our work will be incomplete. There's always more to do. So live. Fly. Soar. Hug. And just do it. This 'trip' flies by much quicker than we know.
©2009 Wendy Hudgins

3 comments:

  1. Awesome entry, Wendy. (Robin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marge and Robin,
    Thank you for your kind words! I'm always surprised by what resonates with people. So I REALLY love seeing the posts and comments of people reading this. Thank you!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...