Thursday, April 16, 2009

The last thirty seconds

T W E N T Y - S I X - L E T T E R S
I don't know how long CBS' Sunday Morning will be on the air, but it's been one of my favorite things to watch for years. Or do you remember Planet Earth from Discovery Channel? HUGE hit. One reason I think it was such a big hit is that so often in tv and movies the focus on people, humans, our creations, and our struggle. But nature just continues along and does her thing. I think nature is a marvelous teacher and when I left my work as an Art Director with Disney to come up to work with Discovery Channel, I was actually most excited to simply get back to a place with a change of seasons.

There's a memory I have from when I was a kid, of me glancing at the trees in winter thinking they were all dead. And like the surprise from Susan Boyle the other night when she began to sing "I Dreamed a Dream" — do we make assumptions, or do we really know what potential is lying just below the surface? Ours? Others?

Like nature, and it's seeming death in winter, perhaps we're storing up strength. Resting, preparing, shifting things, shedding unhealthy branches, so that when the time comes we will not just dream about our dreams and potential, we will burst onto the scene with them.

If you can be outside to see nature up close and over time, do it. If not, then at the very end of Sunday Morning, in those last thirty seconds... be still... be quiet... and enjoy that little, but beautiful, window on our amazing and lesson-filled world.
©2009 Wendy Hudgins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...