Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Beginning. Ending. Waiting. Deciding.

T W E N T Y - S I X - L E T T E R S
Okay, this is a throw-back, so hang on.

A few weeks back, during a Saturday morning cleaning, I popped in a Prince... tape. Yes, a cassette from the 80's. One of my faves. I was in the other room when it happened. It just 'ended.' It was nostalgic to me when, after side "A" finished, it just stopped. So I went in, turned it to side "B" and well over twenty years later, could easily anticipate what that next song would be.

Of course if you wanted to get to a particular song you had to decide to fast-forward, or rewind. Then you had to [gasp] wait to get to that song.

I love the shuffle on my iPod. I love the never-ending, completely unrelated mix of songs we can listen to. I love having instant access to getting new songs whenever I want (and being SO bad with who sang which song, I love the clarity provided by the internet). But there was something so very refreshing about that pause. That break in time. That non non-stopness of the eighties.

Oh, and Prince is performing 4 nights in a row, 25th-28th, this week on Leno.
©2009 Wendy Hudgins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...