Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What a day

T W E N T Y - S I X - L E T T E R S

Where we were.
From where we stood by the Washington Monument (just to the left and front of it, if looking from the Capitol) we overlooked the sea of people who came from everywhere to be witness to this amazing moment in history. On this crisp, cold, sunny day, with it's blue skies, a few whispy clouds, I felt the pages of all American History books flipping. As if on The Mall you could sense the years of history from the wooden wheels of carts, horses, and canons, to the tall hats, pipes, and long skirts of years past, to 1960s gatherings, to today — had all happened in just the blink of an eye.

While we could see the Capitol, we were fairly far back so we could not see him. So I opted to absorb what I could absorb which was, 'I was there.' As President Obama gave his Inauguration speech over the utter silence of the millions of people who were there yesterday, I simply closed my eyes and listened.

What a day.

And the thoughts, messages and well-wishes YOU sent me with, were VERY well-received! We lost count of the number of people (that we saw) who asked to take photos of the quilt. Even video. It sparked conversations with people from Ireland, Italy, Belgium, students from Paris, France, Seattle, and so on. They said, "I love that. What a great idea." I responded, "Thank you. What a great day."

So perhaps, if you have a little idea. A creative spark. Whether it is to create some unique expression for a historic day, or to become President of the United States of America. Imagine if you pursued that idea. Imagine.


What we witnessed.


Your well-wishes for the day as we head into the crowds to watch.


One of MANY folks who asked to take a pic. This Italian man will soon become of citizen of the US and shares the pride and excitement of many for today's event.
©2009 Wendy Hudgins

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh Wendy, these pics are amazing! I looked and looked just in case I got a glimpse of you on the tube yesterday. Glad I hadn't planned to go as Connor and myself ended up with strep throat - UGH! But me and the kids watched it all. Matter a fact, Connor and I started watching at 5 a.m. when we were in too much pain to sleep! Connor and Dylan have been OVERJOYED and so EXCITED to see their posters you created and then on the quilt (Connor couldn't see his on the quilt from the way the pic was taken - he was a bit mad (he doesn't quite understand - you can't get EVERYTHING in the pic - but thats being 5 for ya), if you have a chance to take a couple more and email them to me so I can show them, that would be wonderful!). That is just so exciting on what you did and creating something that everyone could connect too! Thank You for making us part of it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...