Monday, November 17, 2008

What is 'Plan B?'

T W E N T Y - S I X - L E T T E R S -
& - A - C R E A T I V E - S P A R K
In 2004, three of us had the idea that while our day jobs, 'Plan A,' were okay, we needed a creative outlet to give our real passions a chance to shine. You know them, the "someday I'd love to..." or "oh, if I only had more time..." passions?

...and you also know the Nike® slogan.

Well, e
ach of our passions were different. Painting, illustration, and photography. But the goal of our 'Plan B' was to encourage each other to get us off our butts to actually DO that thing we each loved. We were to give honest critique and be a respectful audience. I even made a business card for each of us, basically 'announcing' our pursuit of these passions.

So how does Plan B work? We each came up with a few words, or concepts, wrote them each on a piece of paper and tossed them in a hat. We all agreed that whatever word we pulled out would be the focus of a new project for each of us. Our project began when we drew this one out of the hat: "2:40am."

2:40am? What? My passion is photography, what the heck am I gonna do with THAT? But okay, a deal is a deal. In my brainstorming, it dawned on me that I was heading to France soon and 2:40am state-side, is 8:40am in France! Perfect. So, wherever I was at 8:40am I'd compose a simple black and white photo. New photos were created because of this group.
I got off my butt. And I did it.

We all shared how we incorporated that word into a new project and as I presented my photos to the group, I shared this: We must be responsible to our gifts amongst the chaos of life. Be awake. Be aware. And whatever happens with each of us throughout The Creativity we call life, whatever directions life may take us, may each of us always be surrounded by others who support this idea, who crave creativity, who inspire, challenge, and encourage us... and by those who make us see differently.

To whom much is given, much is expected. Remercie mon ami.

One day Plan A will step aside. We will be ready.




"2:40am" -- My photos at 8:40am throughout Paris, Sancerre, and Vouvray.
PHOTOS ©2008 Wendy Hudgins

1 comment:

  1. Wendy, thank you for your blog! I am inspired by your thoughts. Besides being on the look-out for breadcrumbs, I will now think about my Plan B. Ciao! Robin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...